This is the northernmost point of PEI, and was originally called Cap du Savage by
French explorer Jacques Cartier in 1534, when his vessel was beckoned by an Indian
standing on the shore, though by the time he arrived ashore, the native was gone.
In the early days, the area was know form the hundreds of walruses, that inhabited nearby Sea Cow Pond,
before they were killed off by the settlers.
Today, nearby Black Marsh is a popular bird-watching location. Tignish was the western terminus of the PEI Railroad, and today has several canneries. One of its famous sons was Sir Charles Dalton who founded the once-propsperous silver fox industy and went on the be PEI's lieutenant governor from 1930 to 1933.
Business listings for Tignish
Here are some of the attractions in and around Tignish and North Cape:
V'nez Chou Nous Acadian Dinner Theatre Productions
(902) 882-0475; fax (902) 882-0482
Tignish). Nicole Drouin, Tignish RR3, C0B 2B0. Rte 2. Open mid-July to mid- Aug by reservation only.
Tignish Cultural Centre
Box 398, Tignish, C0B 2B0. Located on Maple St.
(near St. Simon & St. Jude Church)
telephone (902) 882-1999; fax (902) 882-3144
Tignish Cultural Centre includes an Interpretive Centre, Visitor Information Centre, Library, Community Access Site and Access PEI government offices. Visit our interpretive centre to learn about the history of Tignish and the surrounding area. This display introduces the natural history of the area and explores the coming of the Acadian and Irish settlers two hundred years ago, through the emergence of the co-operative movement to the development of present-day Tignish.
Cultural centre open year round. May-Sept, 8 am-4 pm; Oct-Apr, 8:30 am-5 pm. Small admission fee.
Holiday Island Productions
Box 398, Tignish, C0B 2B0.
(School St., off Maple St).
telephone (902) 882-2896; fax (902) 882-3144;
Open May-Oct, 9 am-5 pm. Other times by chance or appointment.
A Prince Edward Island craft company, and producers of clay miniature replicas. Introducing an exciting new product line, "Tignish Treasures," in 2001. Our newest treasures are hand-carved, cast and painted on Prince Edward Island. The first items to be released are a series of hanging ornaments, standing ornaments and trinket boxes featuring Island scenes. New and exciting treasures will be released throughout the season. Free studio tours; meet our artists, see our crafts being made. On-site studio outlet with our products and other Island-made products available for purchase
Skinners Pond Schoolhouse
telephone (902) 882-5671;
The oldest original schoolhouse on Prince Edward Island. Souvenirs available. Open mid-June to Sept 1, 9 am-7 pm. Free admission.
Historic Site At The Green
Box 249, Tignish, C0B 2B0.
(Off Rte 12, approximately 3 km east of Tignish on Founders Lane.
telephone (902) 882-2806; fax (902) 882-0482;
Protected archeological area with 50 m radius, providing an area of natural, unspoiled beauty. Strolling the trails that lead to the bridge's observation deck at the Tignish inlet, with an excellent view of the harbour, lighthouse and bird sightings. The trail used by the first settlers leads to the site of the first church and cemetery. Learn about the history of the founders and the building of a community. History meets nature at its best. Open June-Oct.
North Cape Interpretive Centre/Aquarium/Gift Shop
North end of Rte 12, North Cape
This rustic area features the North Cape Gift Shop, the Interpretive Centre, Aquarium, the Wind and Reef Restaurant, and the North Cape lighthouse. Watch the magnificent results as the tides of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Northumberland Strait meet over Canada's longest natural rock reef. At low tide, stroll out and share the reef with seabirds and other marine life, and see Irish Moss harvested by horse and watch the seals. Open late May to second weekend of Oct,daily. July and Aug, 9 am-8 pm; off season, 10 am-6 pm. Admission fee for Interpretive Centre/Aquariu.
Seaweed Pie Café & Irish Moss Interpretive Centre
Rte 14 (Lady Slipper Drive), North Cape
telephone (902) 882-4313;
Come in and explore our interpretive centre. Learn all there is to know about Irish Moss through displays and video. The café offers delicious seafood chowder, fish cakes and homemade beans, mussels and much more. Don't forget our famous "seaweed pie" Open June 4-Sept 23, Interpretive Centre & Gift Shop: daily, 10 am-7 pm. Cafe‚: daily, 11 am-7 pm; Sun, 12 noon-8 pm. Admission fee.
Atlantic Wind Test Site
R.R 4, North Cape, Tignish, PE, Canada, C0B 2B0
Visitor Centre 902-882-2991 (AWTS: Phone: (902) 882-2746 Fax: (902) 882-3823)
The Atlantic Wind Test Site (AWTS) facilitates the evaluation, development and demonstration of wind energy systems and equipment. AWTS is an integral part of Canada's wind energy development program, and has been established since 1980.Up to 20% of the output from the wind farm is being made available for Maritime Electric customers. Visitor Centre open daily 9 am to 8 pm in July & August, and 10 am to 6 pm in June & September. Admission fee.