Cornwall dates back to the early 1800's, when the Newson family from Cornwall, England settled in the area, which was initially referred to as Pye's Corner but renamed Cornwall by the predominantly English settlers. The Town of Cornwall grew slowly due to its physical isolation from Charlottetown. The first bridge across the North River into town (at the point of the Highway #1 causeway) was built in 1824, upgraded to steel in 1913, and upgrade to the current causeway in 1950 (which also ended ferry service from Wharf St to downtown). Cornwall became a Village in 1966.
There are three schools in the Town, all with large sports fields and gymnasiums, and the community is only a short commute away from post-secondary institutions in Charlottetown.
The town has a number of retail establishments along Highway #1 and Meadowbank Rd, and is a short commute away from the larger Charlottetown Mall.
The town has a Civic Centre, Curling Rink, Swimming Pool, Library, Youth Centre, numerous playgrounds and a privately owned hockey rink which has a strong level of community involvement and support. The town's three schools have large sports fields and gymnasiums, a campground just south of Cornwall, baseball and softball facilities at the CFCY radio station, and three golf courses in the area. The North River Rink, by the causeway, is an ageing private facility.
Cornwall has significant numbers of moderately priced "starter homes". And offers great locations for almost all housing types, from medium and high density multiple unit development to exclusive single family waterfront estates.